Sunday 21 October 2012

Sampler quilt course - day 2

Yesterday was the 2nd day of my sampler quilt course.
I was just as excited as the first day!
 
We started by showing the 1st block that we had completed at home as our 'homework'.


If only homework had always been this fun!!
 
We then began our 2nd block - 'rail fence'.
 
For this block we had to cut long 1 1/2 inch strips of fabric and then sew them together with a quarter inch seam. I was a bit nervous about this, I tend to leave quite generous seam allowances - just incase I wobble! I had bought a quarter inch seam foot for my machine and this has made SUCH a difference. It really helps me to sew in a straight line! So I'm not as nervous about being only a quarter of an inch away from the edge!
 
The strips were then cut into squares, and then sewn together to create a zig-zag effect.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

 
This is the first time I have been happy about the dark purple fabric I bought.
I was persuaded that I needed a dark fabric to balance my other choices, and I could see why - I just didn't want it!! But it looks great here in this block :)
 
 
I came home yesterday with 9 little squares, and I have just spent a few minutes sewing them together.
Homework complete!
 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. All this talk of classes, and your excitement for it has me wanting to go off and learn something new! What fun : -)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you so much for stopping by at Henry's Shed. I'd love it if you would like to comment, it's good to chat :-) x x